| Center for Social Group Development
| Medico-Psychotherapeutic Center
This project focused on providing HIV prevention services for MSM (Men having sex with Men) groups in the community, and detainees in five Detention Centres, along with a mobility study focused on MSM and IDU, and was implemented by the Consortium of two NGOs, CSGD and Labyrinth.
The MSM component, carried out by CSGD, is a continuation of the operations of an existing VCCT Centre supported by Partnerships in Health specifically for MSM, to expand outreach to the MSM community in Mitrovica., Kosovo.
The Detention Centre component, implemented by Labyrinth, targeted Kosovo detainees to sensitise and maintain a low prevalence of HIV, Hepatitis B and C amongst them, as well as harm reduction.
The study on mobility of MSM and IDU (intravenous drug users) was conducted to identify key factors influencing HIV transmission among these populations in the region.
From 10.01.09 for 15 months
MSM age 15-49 in Mitrovica
Detainees in five detention centres
IDU age 15-49
34,615 euro Foundation Partnerships in Health
54,760 euro CSGD and Labyrinth
89,375 euro total
MSM component activities:
• Point 1. Outreach and peer education in Mitrovica
• Point 2. Component 2. Counseling and providing treatment for HIV and Hepatitis B and C in Mitrovica
• Point 3. Counseling and testing for HIV, Hepatitis B and C in Prishtina, referred by Mitrovica service point
• Point 4. Distribution of condoms and lubricants
Detention Centre component activities:
• Training of DTC staff for VCCT
• Sensitisation of prison staff for harm reduction
• Counseling and testing for HIV, Hepatitis B and C in DTC
Study on Mobility of MSM and IDU component:
• Design and preparation for study/definition of methodology and questionnaire
• Conducting interviews with questionnaires
• Conducting interviews with focal group discussions
• Outreach and peer education provided for 400 MSM in Mitrovica
• 320 MSM received HIV and Hepatitis B and C counseling, of which
200 MSM were referred to Prishina for counseling and testing
• 10 detention centre counselors and 5 lab technicians trained on VCCT
• 40 staff trained on harm reduction
• 250 detainees received HIV, Hep B & C testing
• Conducted mobility study on MSM with 200 questionnaires and 7 focus group discussions
• 10,000 condoms distributed
The service point in Mitrovica for the MSM community (the first one in this region) benefits both Serbs from the Northern part of Mitrovica and Albanians from the South. With support obtained from other donors, the centre will continue for at least another two years to provide counseling for HIV and STIs, condom and lubricant distribution, outreach activities, referrals to STI clinics or specialists and referrals to MSM VCCT in Prishtina. The centre will also receive GFATM support.